Hi everyone,

Just wanted to second the SAXS suggestion:

the approach should provide a very rigorous way of testing the candidate models apparent in the crystallographic lattice, and can assist with questions of mass.  (among the most common applications)

With regards to the mass question, test as many concentrations as you can to get a pulse on the strength of the interaction, and also use other complementary solution methods such as AUC or SEC-MALS.  Note that the concentrations tested in SAXS are several fold higher than those examined in AUC or SEC/SEC-MALS, and may not be physiologically relevant in that regard.

Indeed, a 12.5 kD monomer will have very weak scattering power (intensity varies as the square of molecular volume).

You can compensate for that by increasing the concentration or using synchrotron radiation.

The ‘rule of 100’ is a good guide – in your SAXS expt, start at a sample concentration where MW (kD) * concentration (mg/mL) ~100 and then adjust accordingly.

(I’ve successfully studied molecules as small as a 8.5 kD Tudor domain and a ~7kD CHAPS micelle in this way.)

Hope that helps,

Kushol

Kushol Gupta, Ph.D.

Research Associate - Van Duyne Group

Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics

Perelman School of Medicine at The University of Pennsylvania

[log in to unmask] / 215.573.7260 / 267.259.0082 / www.stwing.upenn.edu/~kgupta