Dear Hay,

And your point is?  I am not trying to be snarky (although I am just starting my morning coffee), but to bring up the fact that CCP4BB readers need more info to comment on your case, like space group, local interactions, and how packed is "tightly packed."

I have had two cases of "trimers," as my students initially called them, that were actually a dimer and a half.  The "half" dimer had its mate in another ASU.   Can it be a biological monomer that just happened to crystallize 3 monomers to an ASU?  Non-symmetric homo-oligomers are rare, but sadly cannot be absolutely confirmed by crystallography alone, but by good old biochemistry.  The PISA website (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/msd-srv/prot_int/pistart.html) can give you estimations of the strengths of the interfacial interactions, but they are mere estimates.  What does gel filtration say or cross linking? Does it fit with the biology/biochemistry expected of this protein?

Anyway, have fun with your structure, but use a lot of skepticism in your interpretation.  That will help you convince the reviewers.

Cheers,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [log in to unmask]