For my sins I am making figures of TLR structures. These are dimeric in activated forms and glycosylated. So I sort of assumed that the sugars would inherit the chain id of the polypeptide they are attached to. But then in 2Z7X (TLR1/2 heterodimer) when I coloured the gycolysation to fit with the chains it did not look right. Looking at the LINK record again I found the following:
LINK         ND2 ASN A 199                 C1  NDG A 901     1555   1555  1.45
LINK         ND2 ASN A 414                 C1  NAG A 911     1555   1555  1.45
LINK         ND2 ASN A 442                 C1  NAG A 921     1555   1555  1.45
LINK         ND2 ASN B  51                 C1  NAG A 801     1555   1555  1.46
LINK         ND2 ASN B 163                 C1  NAG B 811     1555   1555  1.45
LINK         ND2 ASN B 330                 C1  NAG A 821     1555   1555  1.46
LINK         ND2 ASN B 429                 C1  NAG A 831     1555   1555  1.45
So only _one_ of the NAGs bound to chain B ends up getting a B chain id! I'm guessing this is because in the dimers the bulk of the sugar ends up closer to chain A rather than the chain B which it is attached to.
And according the the RCSB "chain IDs for all bound moieties and waters are assigned based on their proximity (number of contacts) to the nearest polymer".(http://deposit.rcsb.org/depoinfo/download/dp.pdf section 4.4.1 Chain ID assignment ). So is this why these chains get switched? If so, I have to say that is crazy - surely the covalent bonds, detected when preparing the LINK description, should always take precedence?
Maybe more reasonable treatment has been applied in some cases - but I would've hoped that there would be some consistency - and so maybe the rules need re-writing to remove these anomalies.
I was only making a figure - but for sure someone will be trying to use the data for something more useful and quantitative. This sort of stuff will make their analysis difficult.
All the best
  Martyn
Martyn Symmons
Cambridge