Dear Jose

Your email expressed far more clearly than mine the problem
of symmetry, and I had completely forgotten this discussion in the
classic MWC paper. The point about measuring the molecular weight in
solution is to find IF the protein forms an oligomer or not - AUC
can give some idea of shape (cigar or hamburger) but cannot
give any further indication of asymmetry as SAXS can. However,
if you find a monomer in solution, Hay's problem is solved.

When you state however that it is highly unlikely for a homo-oligomer
to show asymmetry, I think you are forgetting the well-known phenomenon
of half-of-sites reactivity among enzymes. A simple internet search
will in fact show many examples where two copies of the same molecule
form a complex, adopting different conformations to do so.
Symmetry-breaking is a general feature of Nature, so it is not too
surprising that proteins may adapt to a partner's presence in this
way.

The bottom line is that MWC assumes symmetry, and this assumption is
not always valid.

Like Hay I would like to know of higher-order examples than dimer, as
my group has some interesting symmetry-breaking results coming out...

best wishes
Jeremy

******