Dear all,

This is more of a scientific question than a technical one - I hope this is the right place to ask.

I'm new to the CCP4 bundle. So far I've only used the AREAIMOL tool, which determines the accessible surface area of a system. My system is an irregular periodic slab and so I have used the following options:
SMODE IMOL
TRANS
PROBE 0.75
OUTPUT
END
I have used such a small probe sphere radius because it's half of the first peak in the radial distribution function, that is, more or less half of the average first nearest-neighbor distance.

I'm doing this because my slab being amorphous I want to have a systematic and unambiguous way of determining the number of surface atoms. Using the settings above, AREAIMOL produces a number of surface atoms in good agreement with a naive visual interpretation of the structure, which feels right.

My question is if this is a sound approach and what alternative criteria for computing the number of surface atoms are available/used by the community.

Many thanks,
Miguel
--
Dr. Miguel Caro