Dear all,

This is more of a scientific question than a technical one - I hope this
is the right place to ask.

I'm new to the CCP4 bundle. So far I've only used the AREAIMOL tool,
which determines the accessible surface area of a system. My system is
an irregular periodic slab and so I have used the following options:

    SMODE IMOL
    TRANS
    PROBE 0.75
    OUTPUT
    END

I have used such a small probe sphere radius because it's half of the
first peak in the radial distribution function, that is, more or less
half of the average first nearest-neighbor distance.

I'm doing this because my slab being amorphous I want to have a
systematic and unambiguous way of determining the number of surface
atoms. Using the settings above, AREAIMOL produces a number of surface
atoms in good agreement with a naive visual interpretation of the
structure, which feels right.

My question is if this is a sound approach and what alternative criteria
for computing the number of surface atoms are available/used by the
community.

Many thanks,
Miguel
--