Actually that Stafford poem increasingly irritates me, and largely
because of the undercurrent of self-vaunting. I think Robert is right
about it. But my question was: what's actually wrong with the
"anecdotal", is it necessarily thus? and obviously it isn't (e.g. WC
Williams), and is not an authentication of the poem by appeal to
authorial experience a perfectly respectable procedure for some kinds
of poem? And what has the concept "mainstream" got to do with any of
this? Simon Armitage's work does not strike me as founded on anecdote,
nor is it heavily mediated through the first person singular. Its
problems are quite elsewhere.

I have never thought of you as an avant-gardist, John! And if you were
one you'd be one of the genial ones. I was using the reply-to system
to pick up various dangling threads. But does your experience of
"Cambridge" tally with mine at all?

AT a hazard I venture to say that the effort is not to separate the
ethical and the aesthetic, since they naturally occur separately, they
are distinct concepts. The effort is to relate them to each other
responsibly, and I have increasingly grown to distrust a poetic which
just goes straight from one to the other like turning a page as if
there is no problem. So you do your aesthetic thing (e.g. poetry of
ugliness and gratuitous violence) and voilá you've got your ethic done
for you (e.g. revolutionary politics) or just make a mess of some kind
and you're immediately there with a public statement of protest. As if
you can use poetry to be political without needing to think right
through your politics as practice as well as theoretic.

Peter