Hi Akshay

Perhaps you could try Mutvei´s solution, have a look to this paper:

Schöne, B.R., Dunca, E., Fiebig, J., Pfeiffer, M., 2005. Mutvei´s solution: and ideal agent for resolving microgrowth structures of biogenic carbonates. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 228 (1-2), 149-166.

There is also Feigl solution but this is only to discriminate between aragonite and calcite. I think Mutvei´s is the right choice to examine growth increments.

I hope this helps.
Igor

Hello Zooarchers,

Can anyone recommend a staining method I can use to examine gastropod (S. gibberulus/mutabilis)  growth layers? I just need to increase contrast between the layers so that I can discern them easily. I will be using a dissecting microscope to examine the shell.

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes,

Akshay Sarathi
Graduate Student
Department of Anthropology
University of Wisconsin-Madison

--
Igor Gutiérrez Zugasti
Instituto Internacional de Investigaciones Prehistóricas de Cantabria