Dear Zooarchers,

I have an assemblage of horncores from a Norfolk site - these are mostly goat horns (c75%), less cattle horncores and just one sheep core.

Of the goat horns, there are four with varying holes cut in to the core. Two have roughly square holes of approximately 6 x 5mm on one side of the core, one has a round hole of 10mm on one side of the core and one goat horncore has oval holes cut through both sides of the core. Many of the others in the assemblage just show the chops and cuts that are typical of hornworking.

Has anyone else recorded these cut holes in horncores? Does anyone know of any references to work where they have been found?

As these are seen with just the goats and not the cattle, I had wondered if they could be for hanging the more attractive and sellable goat skins, perhaps for selling as they can be bought today?

Any references or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, Julie