Thanks Tim, I rebuilt GAIA today and that now works with my big image.
Yes it takes longer to load, but is faster to scroll around.

One thing I've noticed is that NDF auto-locating is no longer working.

So for instance I had a number of -trn files that really had the NDF in
the .HDU_1 component (I rebuilt the big mosaic using CCDPACK, that
worked). Previously just giving these names to MAKEMOS and GAIA was
enough, they'd then find the .HDU_1 component and off we'd go. They now
fail as the initial error obviously gets the file passed to HDS which
doesn't know what to do, for instance:

  > gaia skycell_044_i-trn.sdf
  GAIA_DIR = /obs/r2/panstarr/starlink_git/build/bin/gaia
  !! HDS file is invalid. Header Control Block is corrupt.
  !  HDS_OPEN: Error opening an HDS container file.
  !  hdsOpen: Error in call to HDS skycell_044_i-trn
  !! HDS file is invalid. Header Control Block is corrupt.
  !  HDS_OPEN: Error opening an HDS container file.
  !  hdsOpen: Error in call to HDS skycell_044_i-trn

Maybe you need to do more than just failback to HDS when you know for
certain this is an HDF file (could use the file magic to assert this).

Cheers,

Peter.