Dear SEDA colleagues

Here is my final updated list of references kindly sent to me by SEDA colleagues in response to my question about any literature related to the effect of space on learning.
The original question was asked by a colleague who is supervising a doctoral student - I have passed on this list to the grateful student, but judging by the response I can see this is a topic of general interest.
Please don't send me any more links - but I am wondering if this is a topic SEDA could consider for a future conference, or strand of a conference.

Boys, Jos (2011) Towards Creative Learning Spaces: Re-thinking the architecture of post-compulsory education. Abingdon: Routledge.

Brooks, D. C. (2012). Space and consequences: The impact of different formal learning spaces on instructor and student behavior. Journal of Learning Spaces, 1(2).

Chism, N.van Note (2006) Challenging traditional assumptions and rethinking learning spaces in D. G. Oblinger (ed.) Learning Spaces   www.educause.edu/learningspaces

Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS). (2009). Academic advising programs: CAS standards and guidelines. Retrieved from http://www.cas.edu/getpdf.cfm?PDF=E864D2C4-D655-8F74-2E647CDECD29B7D0

Eckerty, J. (2011). “Approachable” “Intimidating” “Unprofessional” “Credible”: What do our offices say about us? NACADA Clearinghouse of Academic Advising Resources. Retrieved from http://www.nacada.ksu.edu/Clearinghouse/AdvisingIssues/office-study.htm

Fisher, K. (2010) ‘Technology-enhanced active learning environments – an appraisal.’ (TEAL- OECD)  http://www.oecd.org/education/innovation-education/centreforeffectivelearningenvironmentscele/45565315.pdf

Fisher, K  and Clare Newton (2014) Transforming the twenty-first-century campus to enhance the net-generation student learning experience: using evidence-based design to determine what works and why in virtual/physical teaching spaces. . Faculty of Architecture, Building & Planning,University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia Higher Education Research & Development Volume 33, Issue 5, 2014, pages 903- 920 Published online: 30 Sep 2014

Graetz, K. A., Goliber. M. J. (2003). Designing collaborative learning places: Psychological foundations and new frontiers. In N. Van Note Chism & D. J. Bickford (Eds.), The importance of physical space in creating supportive learning environments: New directions in teaching and learning, 92 (pp. 13–22). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. Oblinger, D. G. (July/August 2003). Boomers, Gen-Xers, and Millennials: Understanding the new students. EDUCAUSE Review, 38(4), 37–47. Retrieved from
http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/erm0342.pdf

Graetz, K. A. and Goliber, M. J. (2002), Designing collaborative learning places: Psychological foundations and new frontiers. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 2002: 13–22. doi: 10.1002/tl.75

Higgins, S., Hall, E., Wall, K., Woolner, P., McCaughey, C. (2005) The Impact of School Environments: A literature review. London: Design Council.

James, Alison and Brookfield, Stephen (2014)  Engaging Imagination: Helping students become creative and reflective thinkers. (Jossey-Bass Higher and Adult Education Series). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. Two chapters in particular: ch6, Playing seriously: Legos and labyrinths, and ch7, Playing with space: Pods and patchwork. See also the comprehensive companion website, http://engagingimagination.com/

Jessop, T., Gubby, L., & Smith, A. (2012). Space frontiers for new pedagogies: a tale of constraints and possibilities. Studies in Higher Education, 37(2), 189-202.

Lippman
, P. (2010) http://www.oecd.org/education/innovation-education/centreforeffectivelearningenvironmentscele/46413458.pdf Can the physical environment have an impact on the learning environment.

McCarter, S. and Woolner, P. (2011) How listening to student voice can enable teachers to reflect on and adjust their use of physical space. Educational and Child Psychology, 28(1) 20-32.

Oblinger, D. G. (2006). Space as a change agent. In D. G. Oblinger (Ed.), Learning spaces (pp. 8–10). Washington, DC: EDUCAUSE.

Oblinger D.G.(ed) (2006) Learning Spaces (e-book)   www.educause.edu/learningspaces

Savin Baden, M. (2007) Learning Spaces

Sleegers P.J.C., Moolenaar N.M., Galetzka M., Pruyn A., Sarroukh B.E., Van Der Zande B. (2013) Lighting affects students' concentration positively: Findings from three Dutch studies Lighting Research and Technology, 45 (2) , pp. 159-175.

Strange, C. C., & Banning, J. H. (2001). Educating by design: Creating campus learning environments that work. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Upcraft, M. L., & Schuh, J. H. (1996). Assessing campus environments. In M. L. Upcraft & J. H. Schuh (Eds.), Assessment in student affairs (pp. 166–188). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Woolner, P., McCarter S., Wall K. and Higgins S. (2012) Changed learning through changed space: When can a participatory approach to the learning environment challenge preconceptions and alter practice? Improving Schools 15(1), 45-60.

Woolner, P., Clark, J., Laing K., Thomas, U. and Tiplady, L. (2012) Changing spaces: preparing students and teachers for a new learning environment. Children, Youth and Environments, Special Issue: Reconceptualising School Design: Child and youth environments for learning 22(1), 52-74.

Woolner, P. (2011) Creating individualised optimal learning environments through participatory design. Educational and Child Psychology, 28(1) 9-19.

Woolner, P. and Hall, E. (2010). Noise in Schools: A Holistic Approach to the Issue, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 7(8): 3255-3269.

Woolner, P., Clark, J., Hall, E., Tiplady, L., Thomas, U., and Wall, K. (2010) Pictures are necessary but not sufficient: using a range of visual methods to engage users about school design Learning Environments Research: An International Journal. 13(1): 1-22. .

Woolner, P., Hall, E., Wall, K. and Dennison, D. (2007) Getting together to improve the school environment: user consultation, participatory design and student voice. Improving Schools, 10(3), 233-248.

Woolner, P., Hall, E., Higgins,S., McCaughey, C., and Wall, K. (2007) A sound foundation? What we know about the impact of environments on learning and the implications for Building Schools for the Future. Oxford Review of Education, 2007, 33(1), pp. 47-70

Yang, Z., Becerik-Gerber, B., & Mino, L. (2013). A study on student perceptions of higher education classrooms: Impact of classroom attributes on student satisfaction and performance. Building and Environment, 70, 171-188.

In addition to these references I had some anecdotal accounts that demonstrated what I suspect many of us believe - space and how we use it really does impact on student learning and behaviour in general, as well as these less formal links:
the Jisc infoKit on Learning Spaces which draws together much of the literature and links to a range of case studies and examples from the sector.
http://www.jiscinfonet.ac.uk/infokits/learning-spaces/
anything published by Rob Beichner (USA) in relation to flipped classroom and his scale-up approach to using active learning with large groups of students.  I’ve attached info from our univ staff website with a link to Rob’s key note.  Sorry – I don’t have his references to hand.
SCALE-UP UK Conference 2014
On 12 September 2014 NTU hosted the inaugural SCALE-UP UK Conference. The conference keynote speech was delivered by the world’s leading expert in SCALE-UP, Professor Robert Beichner from North Carolina State University. The conference also included workshops, presentations, discussions, and a poster session. There were opportunities for networking, and an optional tour of the NTU SCALE-UP rooms in Boots Library.
Presenters came from institutions in Abu Dhabi, Sweden, Lisbon, Bradford, Portsmouth, and from NTU. Between them, they were able to share their SCALE-UP experiences with 100 delegates from across Britain and beyond.
You can view a Flickr album of photos from the conference.
Materials from the conference can be found below.
You can view videos of Bob Beichner’s keynote and top tips from our conference presenters on the Vimeo website. (Use the following password: SCALE-UP)
SCALE-UP - KeynotePDF icon

There was an interesting event hosted by Nottingham university recently about this: http://ntu.ac.uk/adq/teaching/scale_up/events/index.html

Plus this link:
http://www.uq.edu.au/nextgenerationlearningspace/the-project-hub-at-swinburne-hawthorn-campus

Best wishes
Celia

Celia PopovicDirector
Teaching Commons

YORK UNIVERSITY
1046 TEL Bldg • 4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON • Canada M3J 1P3
T 416.736.2100 ext 55922 F 416.736.5704

[log in to unmask] www.yorku.ca www.yorku.ca/teachingcommons   Teaching Commons Communities of Practice - Join Now! TC Learning, Teaching and Assessment Programs

This electronic mail (e-mail), including any attachments, is intended only for the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure. No waiver of privilege, confidentiality or any other protection is intended by virtue of its communication by the internet. Any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, or are not named as a recipient, please immediately notify the sender and destroy all copies of it.