Dear SEDA colleagues
You really are the most amazing group of people! within moments of asking
for help with a literature search several of you responded - and look what
we have:

Brooks, D. C. (2012). Space and consequences: The impact of different
formal learning spaces on instructor and student behavior. Journal of
Learning Spaces, 1(2).
Chism, N.van Note (2006) Challenging traditional assumptions and
rethinking learning spaces in D. G. Oblinger (ed.) Learning Spaces
www.educause.edu/learningspaces
Fisher, K. (2010) ?Technology-enhanced active learning environments ? an
appraisal.? (TEAL- OECD)
http://www.oecd.org/education/innovation-education/centreforeffectivelearningenvironmentscele/45565315.pdf

Fisher, K  and Clare Newton (2014) Transforming the twenty-first-century
campus to enhance the net-generation student learning experience: using
evidence-based design to determine what works and why in virtual/physical
teaching spaces. . Faculty of Architecture, Building & Planning,University
of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia Higher Education Research &
Development Volume 33, Issue 5, 2014, pages 903- 920 Published online: 30
Sep 2014

Graetz, K. A. and Goliber, M. J. (2002), Designing collaborative learning
places: Psychological foundations and new frontiers. New Directions for
Teaching and Learning, 2002: 13?22. doi: 10.1002/tl.75

Jessop, T., Gubby, L., & Smith, A. (2012). Space frontiers for new
pedagogies: a tale of constraints and possibilities. Studies in Higher
Education, 37(2), 189-202.

 Lippman, P. (2010)
http://www.oecd.org/education/innovation-education/centreforeffectivelearningenvironmentscele/46413458.pdf
Can the physical environment have an impact on the learning environment.

Oblinger D.G.(ed) (2006) Learning Spaces (e-book)
www.educause.edu/learningspaces
Savin Baden, M. (2007) Learning Spaces

Yang, Z., Becerik-Gerber, B., & Mino, L. (2013). A study on student
perceptions of higher education classrooms: Impact of classroom attributes
on student satisfaction and performance. Building and Environment, 70,
171-188.

In addition to these references I had some anecdotal accounts that
demonstrated what I suspect many of us believe - space and how we use it
really does impact on student learning and behaviour in general...
If I get any more responses I shall add to this - but in case you were
waiting on tenterhooks I thought I'd share

Best wishes
Celia

Celia Popovic ? Director
Teaching Commons

YORK UNIVERSITY
1046 TEL Bldg ? 4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON ? Canada M3J 1P3
T 416.736.2100 ext 55922 F 416.736.5704
[log in to unmask] ? www.yorku.ca ? www.yorku.ca/teachingcommons  ?
Teaching Commons Communities of Practice - Join Now! ? TC Learning,
Teaching and Assessment Programs
This electronic mail (e-mail), including any attachments, is intended only
for the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure. No waiver
of privilege, confidentiality or any other protection is intended by
virtue of its communication by the internet. Any unauthorized use,
dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, or are not named as a recipient, please immediately
notify the sender and destroy all copies of it.

Does anyone know of any literature on how the physical aspects of
classrooms and classroom furnishings influence psychological
characteristics of students, particularly learning.
Please reply to me direct - [log in to unmask] - rather than fill up
people's inboxes and I will collate any responses.
many thanks