Later this week, at the World Fantasy Convention in Virginia, I’ll be sitting on a panel called “Myths and Legends of World War I”. Here is the panel description:

World War I had legends and myths arise from its battles. The panel will discuss events like the Angels of Mons and the Christmas Truce and how these these influenced authors of the era, such as Kipling's "A Madonna of the Trenches," or the tribute to the Christmas Truce by Arthur Conan Doyle in his A History of the Great War.

In preparation for this panel I’ve been rereading the relevant Kipling stories — mostly the ones in “Debits and Credits” as well as a few from other collections —  as well as the notes on them in the NRG. If anyone in the Mailbase has any suggestions as to stories that might not appear at first glance to be appropriate for discussion on such a panel, or any suggestions for points that might be usefull raised, I’d be happy to hear them. As the panel will be on Thurday evening (from 22.30 to 23.30!) I’d need to receive any suggestions by Wednesday at the latest.

Many thanks,

Fred Lerner