From: Research Data Management discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lizz Jennings
Sent: 11 November 2014 09:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: RDM approaches

University of Bath will be using Pure and Eprints, hopefully on top of Arkivum.

Lizz

Technical Data Officer
Ext. 3570 (External 01225 383570)

On 10/11/2014 20:27, Emily Bennett wrote:

Hello,

At Portsmouth we are looking at what RDM software to adopt.  In order to make a decision, I'm trying to get an overview of the approaches taken by other universities and the software everyone is using.

From a quick google search, as far as I can see other unis tend to be taking the approach of extending the functionality of their existing CRIS / IR. (Southampton - ePrints, Cambridge – Dspace, Exeter – Dspace, St Andrews – Pure pilot, Glasgow – ePrints pilot, Hertfordshire – Pure and Dspace).  I'm interested to know if anyone knows about any other similar examples? Also, I'm interested to hear how other unis are handling the file storage. e.g. whether IR/CRIS is used as the 'catalog' and the files themselves are stored in a service such as Arkivum.

I've also been looking for examples of where other universities have set up a system just for RDM, but so far I can only see that Bristol using CKAN has done this.

I can see the pros and cons of both approaches, but I'm interested to hear what other people think.

thanks,

Emily

Dr Emily Bennett
Research Outputs Manager
University Library and Research and Innovation Services
University of Portsmouth
Tel. 02392 843220
or
Tel. 02392 846191