Dear Terry,

Theory in important. I argue for the importance and value of design theory in several dozen articles, papers, keynotes, and book chapters over the past two decades. Rather than discuss the issue of theory here, I point to my Academia.edu page. You’ll find some of the articles there:

https://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman

I do not argue against the value of theory. I arguing for the value of evidence. This thread opened with a question on evidence in design and design research. It is sometimes useful to ask new questions.

This is not a debate on the relative merits of theory and evidence. We need both. There is nothing “one-eyed” about asking how people see the issue of evidence. If you’d rather talk about theory, start a new thread. If you want to  state your views on the relationship between evidence and theory, state your views — please don’t misstate my views. But I am not planning to debate theory today. Again, I argue for the value and necessity of theory in design research. Just read what I have written.

For now, I want to ask a few questions about evidence. I’d like to know how different list subscribers answer these questions. If you don’t think the questions are useful or important, my suggestion is to start a new thread while you let folks speak to the nature of evidence in this thread.

Here are my questions to the list. I’d like to hear what people have to say:

What is the nature of evidence in design and design research? What kinds of evidence do we need? How can we gather this evidence? How should we deploy it and put it to work in professional practice? Can you suggest some useful published examples worth reading to shed light on these questions?

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Elsevier in Cooperation with Tongji University Press | Launching in 2015

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

Email [log in to unmask] | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn