Yes thanks David. Here comes a more concrete question that i wanted to post for a while: what constitutes evidence in EBD? What type of evidence is accepted? What is the general current possition towards qualitative research in EBD? Is EBD moving towards more soft theories? With the positivistic root of EBD i think this is an important clarification to make.

Sendt fra min Sony Xperia™-smarttelefon

---- Ken Friedman skrev ----

Dear David,

Thank you for putting a useful proposal on the table. I must plead guilty to being general in my comments — this was a lecture PowerPoint, and I was comparing our field to other fields while suggesting one concept that offers value in helping us to improve.

You have put evidence-based design to use on many occasions, and you describe an evidence-based approach in several works and projects. One valuable resource you have developed using this approach is the book Writing About Medicines for People: Usability Guidelines for Consumer Medicine Information. May I ask you to share your thoughts on the book — How did you developed it? How did you gather the evidence that informs the content? How can other put this approach to work?

Admittedly, this is a specific kind of issue, but once you get into the details of evidence-based design, it is the specifics that count for specific kinds of situations. Evidence-based design choices are a function of the specific situations within which a designer must practice.

One great thing about the PhD-Design list is that fact that it is possible to transform the conversation in the time that it takes to write a post. Might I request that you do so with a few words on your experience with evidence-based design at the Communications Research Institute of Australia?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Elsevier in Cooperation with Tongji University Press | Launching in 2015

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

Email [log in to unmask] | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn