Dear list-members,

I am writing to announce the launch of an exciting new book series that
will be published by Brill. Our goal is to enliven and invigorate the study
of premodern conceptions of space, mapping and geography (roughly
pre-1800). We are actively seeking manuscripts that engage with space and
place from any discipline and any premodern geographical region. The formal
Call for Manuscripts is below, and is also available at the following link:

https://www.academia.edu/7630262/Maps_Spaces_Cultures_book_series_Editor_with_Asa_Simon_Mittman_
<https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.academia.edu%2F7850796%2FMaps_Spaces_Cultures_Brill_Book_Series_with_Surekha_Davies&h=eAQEs5T5Y&enc=AZNG-HrjQRIxkamykngfZa2L6C01dBTxNmIsLtkjiilTI9PZqMLDjdPIeUyPWAbjNVNDajR-Jm8RMCIN4LCS4t0DV3abNTxe9GMrOCeMZSNRp1egpdD_AZ0EblYbLNAH5Xo&s=1>

Please share this call widely, and if you think your work might fall within
our purview, please let us know. We would be happy to discuss your book
project with you.

Sincerely,
Surekha Davies and Asa Mittman

CALL FOR BOOK MANUSCRIPTS: MAPS, SPACES, CULTURES

Edited by Surekha Davies (Western Connecticut State University) and Asa
Simon Mittman (California State University, Chico).
Editorial board: Michiel van Groesen (University of Amsterdam), Ricardo
PadrĂ³n (University of Virginia), Ayesha Ramachandran (Yale University) and
Dan Terkla (Illinois Wesleyan University).

This innovative series seeks monographs and essay collections that
investigate how notions of space, geography, and mapping shaped medieval
and early modern cultures. While the history of cartography has
traditionally focused on internal developments in European mapping
conventions and technologies, pre-modern scribes, illuminators, and
printers of maps tended to work in multiple genres. Spatial thinking
informed and was informed by multiple epistemologies and perceptions of the
order of nature.

*Maps, Spaces, Cultures* therefore integrates the study of cartography and
geography within cultural history. It puts genres that reflected and
constituted spatial thinking into dialogue with the cultures that produced
and consumed them, as well as with those they represented. The editors
welcome submissions from scholars of the histories of art, material
culture, colonialism, exploration, ethnography (including that of peoples
described as monsters), encounters, literature, philosophy, religion,
science and knowledge, as well as of the history of cartography and related
disciplines. They encourage interdisciplinary submissions that cross
traditional historical, geographical, or methodological boundaries, that
include works from outside Western Europe and outside the Christian
tradition, and that develop new analytical approaches to pre-modern spatial
thinking, cartography, and the geographical imagination.

Authors are cordially invited to write to either of the series editors,
Surekha Davies ([log in to unmask]) and Asa Simon Mittman (
[log in to unmask]), or to the publisher at Brill, Arjan van Dijk (
[log in to unmask]), to discuss the submission of proposals and/or full
manuscripts.

Dr Surekha Davies
Jay I. Kislak Fellow, John W. Kluge Center, Library of Congress /
Hardison Fellow, Folger Library, 2014-15,
Assistant Professor, European History
Western Connecticut State University
Department of History and Non-Western Cultures
224 Warner Hall
181 White Street
Danbury, CT 06810
http://wcsu.academia.edu/SurekhaDavies