Matins was part of the recommended prayer for lay-Franciscans of the 14th
century.  Whether they did that individually or in groups is something I
have not been able to discern.

Jaye

On 19 November 2014 15:08, John Dillon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Two of the better known twelfth-century liturgical dramas from monastic
> sites in continental Europe are or were bilingual (Latin / vernacular): the
> Monte Cassino Passion Play, which breaks off at the start of a section in
> Italian, and the Greater Carmina Burana Passion Play, which has many lines
> in German. I've always thought that these will have been performed for
> their abbeys' household staffs and perhaps other laity as well as for the
> choir monks.
>
> Best,
> John Dillon
>
> On 11/19/14, John Shinners wrote:
> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture There&#39;s a 14th-century ms from Essen that describes a “Quem
> quaeritis” Easter interlude for a collegiate church there. After the
> discovery of the empty tomb, the rubric says “let the people [presumably in
> the congregation] sing a hymn in German about the Resurrection. This
> suggest to me that laity must have sometimes been present, otherwise why
> sing in German? The document is From Karl Young’s The Drama of the Medieval
> Church v. 1 , pp. 333-35. I’m afraid I only have my translation handy, not
> the Latin.
> >

> > Best,
> > John
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Laura Jacobus <[log in to unmask]
> <[log in to unmask])" target="1">[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture My feeling, though it&#39;s no more than that, is that early
> liturgical dramas need to be thought of as participatory dramas ie. there
> was not necessarily an external audience in the more modern theatrical
> sense, but nor was there &#39;no audience&#39;: the audience were the
> performers and vice versa, making it an immersive devotional experience.
> I&#39;d bet there&#39;s a theoretical literature on this somewhere, and
> someone on the list will know where. I&#39;m pretty sure I&#39;ve come
> across work on later dramas by lay devotional confraternities which treats
> them in this way, and though I know it&#39;s not the same thing there are
> perhaps parallels.
> > >
> > > Laura
> > >

> > > Dr. Laura JacobusSenior Lecturer in History of Art
> > > Birkbeck College, University of London
> > >

> > > For details of my book on Giotto and the Arena Chapel see
> http://www.brepols.net/Pages/ShowProduct.aspx?prod_id=IS-9781905375127-1

> culture

> There
> normally
> surprisingly

> looking
> audience
> precedents for

> write to:

> [log in to unmask](javascript:main.compose() In order to report
> problems or to contact the list&#39;s owners, write to:
> [log in to unmask](javascript:main.compose() For
> further information, visit our web site:
> [...]

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to
live as one wishes to live.
  - Oscar Wilde <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/29590.html>

Please check out my blog:
http://catholicanuck.blogspot.com