Dear All,

PERICLES is a four-year project that aims to address the challenges of ensuring that digital content remains accessible and understandable over time. Within this context we would like to bring to your attention the release of the PERICLES Extraction Tool.

The PERICLES Extraction Tool (PET) is an open source (Apache 2 licensed) Java software for the extraction of significant information from the environment where digital objects are created and modified. This information supports object use and reuse, e.g. for a better long-term preservation of data. The Tool was developed entirely for the PERICLES EU project http://www.pericles-project.eu/ by Fabio Corubolo, University of Liverpool, and Anna Eggers, Göttingen State and University Library.

PET is now available on https://github.com/pericles-project/pet, with documentation and tutorials. It is Open Source, so feel free to play around and, as it is still an early version, we appreciate if you leave us a comment about PET or in general the research field of environment information. The theoretical background can be explored in detail through our associated paper published at iPRES 2014, 'A pragmatic approach to signifcant environment information collection to support object reuse' [http://pericles-project.eu/publications].

We have also just released a blog briefly summarising PET which you are welcome to read and where you can also leave comments http://goo.gl/wmhuhA.

Please feel free to share news of the PET with anyone you think may be interested.

Thank you.
Kind regards,

John McNeill, on behalf of PERICLES

John McNeill
Collection Care Research Manager
Tate, Millbank, London, SW1P 4RG
tel: +44 207 887 8943
www.tate.org.uk

Please note that any information sent, received or held by Tate may be disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act 2000

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg