On 21/11/2014 08:13, Nick Poole wrote:
> The biggest challenge seems to be the 'trustability' of the returning enrichments. If you say to a museum professional "here's the 120k records you uploaded to our platform, 30k of which have been enriched. Do you want to accept them back into your core Collections Management System?" they understandably get a bit nervous..
Surely that's a matter of simple provenance logging/control?  Just as
Europeana puts effort into recording the source of each aggregation
which it ingests (using the ORE proxy mechanism), so it claims to log
the provenance of any enhancement [1]:

"EDM enables data enrichment from a range of selected authoritative
sources. For example, a digital object from Provider A may be
contextually enriched by Europeana by the addition of data from
authority files held by Provider B, or from a web-based thesaurus
offered by Publisher C. The provenance of such additional data is also
provided."

I would certainly get nervous about blindly accepting large-scale
updates to my core collections data, but would be relatively relaxed
about putting them into a separate-but-linked database/triple store
where they could be used or not as I chose.  (Of course, if these
enhancements are available as Linked Data, there is no need to re-import
them at all.  Just use them "in place".)

Richard

[1]
http://pro.europeana.eu/documents/900548/f495317b-4557-4a60-9326-723f4618b44c
--