Hello

I’m posting versions of this in several places, so apologies if this becomes irksome!

Does anyone know of any standards (or rules of thumb or guidelines) for sizing archives/special collections spaces?  I asked this question on various lists as long ago as 2008 without success and have been pondering and researching since.  Am I missing something obvious?

How much workspace to allocate for searchroom users or archives staff?   They need more than standard library users or office workers, clearly, but how much?

How can we convert cubic metres of archives into sizes of room?

I’m aware of course that these are complex matters, but we have to start somewhere!  If such standards and guidelines don’t exist, how are decisions about space being made?   I’d also love to hear from any small service with information about the size of their spaces (and whether they are the right size!).

Thanks in advance

Best wishes

Alison

Alison Cullingford
Special Collections Librarian
J.B. Priestley Library

University of Bradford, Bradford.  BD7 1DP.

Tel: +44 (0) 1274 235256
Email: [log in to unmask]