Forwarded (with slight fore-shortening of contributor’s address, and one statement in bold in order to draw attention to the item).

Francis Herbert

-----Original Message-----
From: Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mary Larsgaard
Sent: 17 November 2014 15:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cartographic Materials Manual still needed for map cataloging; get your copy before title goes OP!

Many map catalogers are already familiar with "Cartographic Materials: A Manual of Interpretation for AACR2," 2002 revision, published by ALA Editions ( http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=2257 )

Now that the book, "RDA and Cartographic Resources"  ( http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=3542 ) has been published, we three co-authors of that book do want map catalogers to know that in no way did we attempt to shoehorn all 400 pages of the Manual into our book; instead, we concentrated on differences between how maps are cataloged in RDA as contrasted with AACR2.

This means the Manual is still extremely useful; it covers many map-cataloging best practices upon which RDA either does not touch or does so only briefly. As but one example, how to choose which title is the title proper when one is dealing with two or more map titles is well covered and clear in Cartographic Materials, but not in RDA. And the differences in map cataloguing between RDA and AACR2 are mainly in the details.

Further, the Manual is NOT going to be revised.

The Anglo-American Cataloguing Committee for Cartographic Materials (AACCCM) decided that, while as mentioned in the previous paragraph the differences between AACR2 and RDA are in the details, the arrangement of RDA is so different from the arrangement of AACR2 (which latter the Manual follows) that the entire Manual would have had to have been rewritten to make sense of it all.

So, if you catalog maps in your library, and either don't have a copy of Cartographic Materials, or need more copies, now is a good time to order the Manual, since it may go out of print in 2015.

Do let any of the three of us know if you have any questions on this matter.

Paige Andrew [log in to unmask]

Susan Moore [log in to unmask]

Mary Larsgaard [log in to unmask]

--

Mary Lynette Larsgaard, Librarian Emeritus

University of California, Santa Barbara

PO Box 14805

Santa Barbara CA