Here is a summary of the responses I received to my query about library guides:

·         Three libraries don’t produce printed guides but use LibGuides

·         One library produces separate printed leaflets; one for general library info for students at inductions and one on online resources

·         One produces an online comprehensive student survival guide and guide to various other resources plus several separate help guides, the popular ones of which they do still also print out

·         One produces a very brief guide which is given to all students on registering, everything else is online

·         One has produced printed guides for years but they are moving away from this and towards using LibGuides,

·         One produces a downloadable induction pack

·         One produces a printed folded guide which opens up as double sided A3. It is also available as a PDF on their website. The information generally in the guide is as follows:

                    Usernames

                    PINS

                    Study spaces and how to book

                    Contact details

                    TUSCs (Library card) – use of

                    Borrow/return/renew

                    Bullet pointed list of what is on each floor – e.g. book stock class number

                    Library regulations – links to

                    How to get academic support and subject help

They also use LibGuides.

·         One produces a selection of leaflets (e.g. welcome/email leaflets for introductory inductions, referencing leaflet for referencing & plagiarism inductions etc.). The information ranges from basic welcome info and opening times, to referencing, binding, e-resources and Google Scholar

Many thanks to all of you who responded.

Keith

Keith Brisland

Liaison Librarian (Enquiry Services)

Library and Learning Resources