An opportunity has arisen at the National Railway Museum for a visitor service assistant in the NRMs £4m open-access library & archive - Search Engine.  We are looking for a friendly, approachable and outgoing new member of our existing dynamic front-of-house team.

Working under the supervision of our Librarian and curatorial staff, you will carry out a wide range of customer service tasks, including welcoming library and archive users, showing them how to use Search Engine to find out the answers to their questions, supervising the research rooms, and staffing the reception and reader registration desk.  Your customer care skills will be crucial in maintaining the already highly positive reputation that Search Engine has gained, and thus helping to encourage repeat visits.

Ideally, you will have work experience involving regular face-to-face contact with the public, but more important are excellent listening and verbal communication skills, the ability to work calmly and courteously under pressure, and the ability to learn and follow structured procedures.  You do not have to know anything about railway history, but an interest in the work of the NRM and of museums, libraries and archives generally, would be an advantage.

We would particularly welcome applications from those seeking experience to support later applications to professional archives, library, museum or heritage qualifications.

The NRM opens seven days a week, 362 days a year and Search Engine is open from Wednesday to Saturday every week, so this post will involve regular weekend working on a rota basis.

In return, we can offer membership of our pension, health and dental care schemes along with 30 days holiday pro rata.

For more information click here.

Karen Baker

Librarian

Knowledge and Collections

National Railway Museum

Leeman Road

York

YO26 4XJ

t +44(0)1904 685745

[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
nrm.org.uk
follow us on twitter@railwaymuseum

A member of the Science Museum Group

The Science Museum Group consists of:

Science Museum, London
Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester

National Railway Museum, York and Shildon
National Media Museum, Bradford

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the Science Museum Group. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.