"REWRITING"
University of Pennsylvania - French and Italian Graduate Society Conference
Keynote speaker: Prof. Lawrence Venuti (Temple University)
March 21, 2015

The 2015 FIGS Conference theme, Rewriting,seeks to explore the multiple
manifestations of a work throughout its lifetime.The rewriting process may
entail the draft work of the original author pre-publication, the revisions of
a work (both subtle and dramatic,author-authorized and unauthorized) in
successive re-editions, translations and the inter-textual or adaptational re-
appropriations by other authors and artists.
Rewriting not only applies to the initial production of a work, but also to
its interpretation. We can conceive of literary criticism as a form of
rewriting - a means of altering the reader's relationship with the text and
reshaping its meaning. Of course, rewriting is not the exclusive prerogative of
academics. Works are also appropriated by other artists and transformed into
other mediums - adapted and rewritten into film, theater, graphic novels, and
television series. By considering processes of rewriting, we hope to gain a
deeper sense of the larger and potential meanings of a work, as well as the
conditions that limit and inform our interpretations.
The French and Italian Graduate Society welcomes submissions in Italian,
French and English from a range of disciplines, including (but not limited to)
language and literature, art history, history, political science, sociology,
theater, and film studies. Presentations should not exceed 15 minutes.

Please send a 250-word abstract with your name and affiliation to
[log in to unmask] by January 15, 2014.

- Some potential interpretations of our theme:
The dialogue between past and present.
Adaptations in different mediums.
Palimpsests
Revisiting and reevaluating classic works.
Intentional fallacy and the role of the author
New theoretical approaches to old texts
Reworking or reinterpreting a text relative to historical and social
developments, evolving racial, gender, or class identities
Circumstances of publication and reception.
Censorship and scandal- works on trial.
Translation
Textual genetics
Processes of canonization and popularization
Revisiting a personal or historical event
Unconscious rewritings
Digital media and adaptations to increase accessibility (disability studies)