Dear All,

I am relaying news received this morning of the death of David Oldroyd yesterday in Sydney. David made a major contribution to the history of geology as an author, teacher and editor. His books, The Highland Controversy, Two Hundred Years of Geological Research in the English Lake District, and Thinking about the Earth, among others, established his authority as a scholar. His mastery of the detail and nuance of documents and outcrops came through clearly in his writing.

I met David for the first time at the INHIGEO conference in July, 2013, when he presented his last paper and co-lead the field trip in the Lake District. We shared a room as if old friends, due to his warm and engaging personality. It was clear why he was so highly regarded and so well liked by a wide circle of friends.

On behalf of HOGG, I will be sending condolences to his family.

Best wishes,

John Henry