From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Boldrini
Sent: 20 November 2014 11:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MASSMAIL] Re: E Conference Day 4 - If this goes ahead, What is the most efficient method?

I think the answer will be very much split along the lines of those who just do HER stuff, and those who do HER and other stuff ie DM and/or Countryside advice. The latter will have less time for enhancement as casework has external deadlines. HER work doesn’t – except Searches, and we don’t get so many of those that I can’t do anything else.

Even if you just do HER stuff (as I do) then you still have to prioritise, and also stay focussed – it’s easy to start enhancing a record for one reason and then try and sort out the other issues with it at the same time.

But then it depends on if you start an enhancing a record from the Record, or using a particular source. What I mean is if you’re going to sort out Record X then you’ll look at numerous Sources. If your starting from using Source Y to enhance records, then you need to make sure you don’t sort out everything else that’s wrong with X that ISN’T related to Y.

I also think methods are less transferable than you think – as they will depend very much on the vagaries of how the system developed (who entered what when) and what relevant Sources are.

Trying to keep things on track – if answering this you could focus on it on Enhancement based on reconciliation with EH records,  that would be particularly useful.

So with that in mind – I haven’t done much of that.

I have tended in the past just to cross reference. If I decide that HER 12 is the same as NRHE 45 – I create a cross reference (and nowadays a hot link to Pastscape) but don’t actually merge the record information. That’s a lesser priority I think than making that link.

Best wishes

Nick Boldrini

Historic Environment Record Officer

Ext 267008