The issue of database rights is quite complex, I did quite a bit of reading up on this whist I was working for my CILIP chartership and will be updating the section on copyright for inclusion in the revised IFP. It would be quite a major devotion from the topic to explain in full but essentially if you take information from various sources and combine it in a database to create something which is new and distinct from the original sources then you hold the database rights. These exists for 9 years after publication unless there has been substantial new information added, which with NRHE and HERs happens every year therefore database rights are perpetuating.
Happy to discuss in more detail and point to sources discussing this if anyone is interested but it's a bit off topic

Martin

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Elliott, Andrew
Sent: 21 November 2014 15:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [HERFORUM] Day 5 - AOB - After lunch

Hi Nick,

Oh go on then, a series of points (and some questions within) then;

1) Martin has posted earlier that any NHRE information would be copyrighted to (the Historic England part I presume) "The information in the NRHE held on AMIE however EH will hold Database Rights over" on Tuesday. It has been noted that there is new to HER information, as well as further information on already HER existing information today and doubtless from Ben's week long trial. That to apply to any spatial data as well?

How does that square with HER specific (and the preferred) incorporation of information?

Recasting would be a long term job, if reconciling things alone wouldn't be already (13402 recorded in Northumberland in Heritage Gateway's PastScape). Quick incorporation by copy-and-paste into the HERs, would need a "Copyright of [insert HER name here] and Historic England" in database report strapline and/or GIS attributes?

Or perhaps something of a more definite pack/introductory blurb for HER enquiry replies - an explanatory page that goes out with the information every time (e.g. explaining FCE, GCE, LO, LIN etc.) and also if the batches model (e.g. what batches have been done specific to each HER) preferred?

------------------------
2) Yes - I agree with Chris I thought more of a discussion about what maritime would have come up. The PastScape updates recently including the likes of "Outside of Territorial Waters" group mean an existing lesser priority to my eyes in adding them to the HER at the moment.

--------------------------
3) Practical now - the removal of the records one-by-one if option 3 pursued from PastScape online as people work through them either from paper print or digitally sounds sense to me. Another reason being how do explain the batches otherwise to enquirers - I'm sure we could (geographically, by period or date), but their of course extremely important interests might be the ones not by the batches (either issued from NHRE or requested by the HER).

How often would the PastScape pages on Heritage Gateway be refreshed to reflect this? Basic question which I don't know the answer to - is a Heritage Gateway PastScape search a search of the 'live' PastScape rather than a data dump?

We'd need something on both or either website page saying last revised at, and also HER-wise perhaps more of a description for our practices out there (on Heritage Gateway as well for there are on that) along the lines "We are a 'lumpy' HER in XXXshire, with mapping largely carried out as points, so this means a large complex such as an airfield may only have one central point record" so that can be recognised when the resource searched remotely for comparison to "We break down sites as much as we can to our standard definitions in YYYshire, so a planned farm or factory has specific types of monument recorded we have been able to".

----------------------------

Think that is it for the time being.

Seeing you've now called time, time also to say I've rather enjoyed it all - it exercises the brain somewhat,

Keith
A Keith Elliott
Historic Environment Record Assistant
Conservation Team
Development Services, Local Services
Northumberland County Council, County Hall
Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61 2EF

Tel: 01670 622654