From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Boldrini
Sent: 21 November 2014 09:19
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: E Conference Day 5 - AOB

Morning folks

Thanks to everyone who contributed yesterday.

Slight delay to this as I have had to compose it this morning.

Today is AOB day - there are no planned posts, no particular issues to focus on. The idea is if there is anything that has been raised in the last week that you would like to discuss in more detail - or even just continue discussing - todays the day for it.

With that in mind, I'll just post a bit of a summary of the last week to get things going.

Day 1 was a slow start, but there was discussion about the data flows around OASIS. As a general issue, data flows was also raised later in the week in regard to EH recording their work - so obviously looking at processes and potentially re-engineering them is something that needs to be considered as part of this project (NRHE to HER) as well as the wider Heritage Information Access Strategy (HIAS)

Day 2 - is this project a good idea - there was a broadly positive response to the idea from HER's, though a more cautious response from EH. Issues raised by all included web access, as not all HERS are online, problems around gaps in HER coverage, how data would be fed back to EH for national projects, and the key issue (raised more than once this week) about the need for extra resources for HERs for this project to proceed.  There was also some discussion about the access to the associated EH archives and the suggestion of a national central database, similar to PAS.

Day 3 - and we're talking about what would need to be in place for this to happen. Resources come up again. There was some discussion about the EH HIAS Principles, particularly in relation to Maritime records. The idea of a web mapped (or similarly shared) Designation records system was suggested and discussed. Some interesting points were made about Duplication (of data and effort) suggesting that complete eradication of this may not be as necessary as many of us may think, BUT, that it should only happen where there is a strong business case. An alternative data model of a "Virtual Distributed National Record" was also suggested.

Days 4 - this focussed more specifically on how to achieve the main proposal - reconciling the NRHE and HER's. 3 methods were proposed, with method 3 being the clear favourite. Resources mentioned again - but more in the context of those with multiple roles (HER/DM/Countryside Management/Policy) struggling to find time for the HER part.

So overall in terms of the project, there was broad support for it, and definite support for a particular method. Inevitably a number of issues were highlighted which would need resolving purely for this project.

The key thing that has emerged for me is that the reconciling of the NRHE and HER, whilst quite a significant change in itself, helps to highlight wider issues in the sector which need addressing. Whilst obvious, in some ways, some of the  suggested solutions - technological, organisational, in terms of how we work - might end up being very different from how things are now. And as part of the current project is to feed into the HIAS, then it is useful for them to be brought up

So on the last day of the conference,  I would ask you to rake over any of the discussions which you don't feel answered your concerns effectively, raise any points that you don't think have been covered so far at all, or just post some "If I had infinite resources, this is what I'd do" thoughts to chuck into the mix for the HIAS.

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Archaeology Section
Design and Historic Environment Team
Planning Service
Regeneration and Economic Development
Durham County Council
County Hall
Durham
DH1 5UQ
Tel: 03000 267008

www.durham.gov.uk<http://www.durham.gov.uk/>
[twitter]<http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=2863&d=4oPv1KzlOvCZOpjZTTqLPbjQpFm1TPtqBVXnbWQ5bg&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2etwitter%2ecom%2fdurhamcouncil>[facebook]<http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=2863&d=4oPv1KzlOvCZOpjZTTqLPbjQpFm1TPtqBVPkb2U-PA&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2efacebook%2ecom%2fdurhamcouncil>
[cid:image003.png@01CF49C9.CDD0C8A0]

Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However, we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus checking procedures.

Access your county council services online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at www.northyorks.gov.uk.

WARNING

Any opinions or statements expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily those of North Yorkshire County Council.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you receive this in error, please do not disclose any information to anyone, notify the sender at the above address and then destroy all copies.

North Yorkshire County Council’s computer systems and communications may be monitored to ensure effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes. All GCSX traffic may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Although we have endeavoured to ensure that this e-mail and any attachments are free from any virus we would advise you to take any necessary steps to ensure that they are actually virus free.

If you receive an automatic response stating that the recipient is away from the office and you wish to request information under either the Freedom of Information Act, the Data Protection Act or the Environmental Information Regulations please forward your request by e-mail to the Data Management Team ([log in to unmask]) who will process your request.

North Yorkshire County Council.