From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ben Wallace
Sent: 19 November 2014 10:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [HERFORUM] E Conference Day 3 - What criteria are essential or desirable? - Maritime

Morning everyone,

Getting back to Rachel's question, yes HERs would effectively need to stop recording Maritime information and hand over the data to the NRHE. However, for this (and the transfer of terrestrial data from the NRHE to HERs) to happen the roles and responsibilities of the NRHE and HERs need to be looked at, debated and agreed by EH (soon to be HE) and ALGAO.

We did discuss this a bit at the workshop and there was the point made that some HERs may not want to stop holding data they have relating to Maritime. In essence though the concept needs to be agreed from both sides otherwise duplication still ensues.

Having said this, from Martin's points regarding defining Maritime areas and responsibilities it looks like it will end up being a fuzzy line in some ways and some duplication may be unavoidable.

Looking at duplication in general this is something we haven't got our heads round properly yet, I mean how many of us have Listed Building, Scheduled Monument or other nationally designated records duplicated in our HER? Do we really need them? Shouldn't we just point to the NHLE?

Ben

Ben Wallace

(Historic Environment Record Manager)

BA (EU) Hons, MA, MIfA

Warwickshire Historic Environment Record

Archaeological Information and Advice (AIA)

Regeneration and Special Projects,

Economic Growth,

Communities

Warwickshire County Council

Phone: 01926 412734

Postal Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, PO Box 43, Shire Hall, Warwick CV34 4SX

Physical Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities, Warwickshire County Council, Barrack Street, Warwick CV34 4TH