I get that Chris – what I am suggesting might be a middle way (Buddhist archaeology?).

Create the archive (because doing that to some extent is part of the process of doing archaeology properly – creating Harris Matrices, checking context sheets against plans and sections, etc) – but then selectively retain parts of it.

And that issue of how to select what to retain is the one I am sure makes most people uncomfortable, but I also think it’s the most pragmatic approach to some of the issues.

And I also think it just an extension of what we kind of do anyway – we have selected what to record on the plan, we have selected what to record on context sheets, we have selected what parts of a site to investigate, we have selected what to photograph – why not select what to archive?

Best wishes

Nick Boldrini

Historic Environment Record Officer

Ext 267008