Hello Mike,

Thanks for continuing the debate. There is no doubt that the MCT is a major crustal shear zone which exhumes deep-buried high grade rocks. For me at least, and I feel I am not alone in the this view, the issue is why is it active at all and what controls its location and rate of exhumation. The MCT is not just any old fault after all. I would argue that it is located where it is because of the relative rapid exhumation of the Greater Himalayan slab compared to the Lesser Himalaya. This rock uplift is modulated by the rate of erosion at the surface. In other words bands of rainfall intensity control where the rapid exhumation occurs and therefore the location of the MCT (credit to Cam Wobus and Kip Hodges if memory serves me well). I tend to agree with you that the STD works together with the MCT to control the exhumation of the Greater Himalaya but if that is the case then the STD is partly climatically controlled as well.

As for Nanga Parbat that could be a different kettle of fish. Its seems clear that the Namche Barwe syntaxis is largely achieving its super fast exhumation because of the denudation allowed by the strong monsoon there and the Brahmaputra River, as evidenced by the huge contribution of Namche Barwe to that river. However, the same is not true in the west. Nanga Parbat is in a pretty dry place and does not particularly contribute to the Indus. Its exhumation is much more dominated by the solid Earth in my view, even if erosion does have to lend a hand. Is there any evidence of detachment faulting at Nanga Parbat? Thrusting alone will not result in exhumation, indeed quite the opposite.

The Karakoram exhumation may not be monsoonally controlled but the action of glaciation fed by the monsoon and the westerly jet is clearly critical in allowing that to happen. Without the strong erosion driven by glaciation those high grade rocks would still be at great depth. Perhaps the high grade rocks at Tso Morari are a good example of purely tectonic exhumation?

As for Cherapungi the exhumation rates are lower there than in these other cases because the crust is not very thickened and rock uplift rates are low, like Scotland for example! It is when we have rapid rock uplift plus rainfall that the fun really begins. The solid Earth provides the opportunity for ranges like the Greater Himalaya to form but I would argue that it is the climate that decides where the faults are located and how fast they move, including the STD.

best wishes
Peter