From: mike searle [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 November 2014 07:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EGU General Assembly session (TS3.3/CL1.9/GM3.6): "Investigating Tectonism-Erosion-Climate Couplings (iTECC): Himalayan orogenic development and climatic feedbacks from micro- to macro-scale"

What a wonderful comment Dugald Carmichael! from the Royal Box of Metamorphism (most certainly not the cheap seats!). I agree, a great discussion - its inspired me to continue the debate:

Himalayan Channel Flow/ MCT / STD / Climate links

DATA: data is derived from geological field data, strain data, PT data, multi-system geochronological data. The data from the Himalaya shows a

10-20 km thick Middle crust composed of mostly high-grade gneisses, migmatites and leucogranites. This slab is bounded by top-south MCT ductile shear zone below (inverted metamorphism) and top-north STD low-angle normal fault above (right way-up isograds). The mid-crust GHS in between these shear zones was moving south relative to the lower crust and upper crust (Tethyan sequence) by >50-100 km. Inter-connected partial melts and leucogranite sills caused it to flow in a wholly ductile manner, hence Channel Flow. Geochronological data shows that MCT, STD and Channel Flow was all active between ca 24 – 17 Ma.

MODELS:- The Channel Flow model links these Geological constraints to Climate – Erosion driven flow. The link is only a model. We have very little idea what the rainfall or climate was like during this time at that place. Monsoon – rainfall is very high today yet the MCT-STD are tectonically inactive.  A “Climatically-located MCT”  is beyond my comprehension; Rainfall does not occur along a line of fault, and rainfall cannot possible be held responsible for initiation of ductile shear zones at 10 kbar Bathograd depths. Linking initiation of the MCT and STD to rainfall, climate to me seems ridiculous.

“It is only focussed erosion that allows the Himalayan slab to flow”.

This is not correct. It is partial melting of the crust that allows the GHS slab to flow. The highest exhumation rates and erosion are along the channel above the MCT and below the STD.

“Erosion – exhumation in a positive feedback loop”

This is plainly obvious! You cannot have 30 km high mountains. The debate is about whether climate, rain etc can cause rock uplift or channel flow. I would say not. Tectonic forces cause mountain – rock uplift; Rain cannot cause rock uplift. Once topography is formed by tectonics, then rain, ice etc can reduce topography by erosion, and make mountains the shape we see today.

NANGA PARBAT

Nanga Parbat topography is not controlled by the Indus River. The antecedent Indus River rises near Kailas ~800 km east of Nanga Parbat; the river cuts across the axis of high relief (north-south Haramosh – Nanga Parbat trend) at 90 degrees. The river does not control topography or exhumation. Major faults (Raikot-Liachar thrust along west; Rupal shear zone and Stak vertical ‘normal’ fault along east) control the uplift of the mid-crust partially melted gneisses. Once high topography has been formed then of course you have erosion, rain, rivers etc, but these do not control rock uplift.

Nanga Parbat has the highest rock exhumation rates recorded anywhere (Crowley et al. 2009. EPSL 408-20), Pleistocene migmatites formed 1.7 Ma at 5 kbar, ~15-20 km depth, now at 6500 meters altitude; tourmaline leucogranites crystallised 0.7 Ma now at 6000 meters. The pressures, depth and time of peak metamorphism/melting give us a rate of exhumation. None of this exhumation is controlled by rainfall. Nanga Parbat is in a dry desert climatic zone today.

Neither Taiwan nor New Zealand (mainly greenschist facies rocks at surface today I think) show this amount of rock exhumation/uplift.

... and lastly I have never understood Peter Zeitlers phrase 'Tectonic aneurism'... An aneurism is a blockage. Where's the blockage at Nanga Parbat? Its exhuming, uplifting like crazy.

Namaste!

Mike Searle

On 16/11/2014 01:21, Dugald Carmichael wrote:

> Dear tectonic gladiators,  Just a few words from far back in the cheap

> seats:   Wow!  What a splendid debate!  Enthralling and stimulating!  A

> prime example of exactly what Tim Berners-Lee was hoping for when he

> envisaged the Internet and set about inventing it!

> Dugald Carmichael

Professor Michael P.Searle

Dept. Earth Sciences

Oxford University,

Parks Road.,

Oxford,   OX1 3PR

England

                                Professor of Earth Sciences, and

                                Senior Research Fellow, Worcester College, Oxford.

Tel:  +44 1865 272022

Fax:  +44 1865 272072

Mike Searle's Home Page:  http://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/~mikes