Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention and invite you to submit an abstract to the session

TS2.2/GMPV2.5 - Deformation and metamorphism: rheological implications co-organized by TS and GMPV divisions at the EGU2015 meeting (Vienna, 12-17 April).

Conveners: Petr Jerabek (Charles University in Prague), Holger Stunitz (University of Tromso) and Lucie Tajcmanova (ETH Zurich)

Confirmed invited speaker: Andrew Putnis (University of Munster)

Session description: Deformation of rocks at convergent and divergent plate boundaries is accompanied by changing pressure, temperature and fluid conditions resulting in metamorphic reactions and consequent phase transformations. The positive feedback between deformation and metamorphism and vice versa has been a long recognized phenomenon. Both deformation and metamorphism, however, lead to important changes in microstructure of rocks which in turn control their mechanical properties. Thus in the light of progressing metamorphic transformation coeval with deformation the standard mechanical criteria based on the fixed rock properties such as phase content, phase proportion and distribution, and grain size are constantly changing. This is of course serious issue for the rheological predictions used in the large-scale geodynamic models.

In this session we invite contributions focusing on changes of rock microstructure induced by deformation-metamorphic transformations. The session will provide a cocktail of experimental, natural and numerical simulation studies documenting the "why and how" evolution of any rock microstructure.

Link to abstract submission:  <http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2015/session/18407> http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2015/session/18407

Important deadlines:

Financial Support Application:   28 November 2014

Abstract submission:             7 January 2015, 13.00 CET

Deadline for Early Registration: 12 March 2015

We are looking forward to seeing you in Vienna

Petr, Holger and Lucie

ps. Apologies for eventual crossposting.

--

Dr. Petr Jerabek
Institute of Petrology and Structural Geology

http://www.natur.cuni.cz/geologie/petrologie/jerabek1
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-4522-2009
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/petr-jerabek