Interesting discussion Susan……thank you.

I’d rather include the SR evidence and down grade it on quality assessment and judging my confidence in its findings. You, sounds like, will not even consider it. Perhaps you’d also not consider a study as randomized and exclude it if allocation concealment is not clearly reported.

In end, with your attempt/intent to be comprehensive, you are actually being selective. I don’t think I have a clear answer….but I like to include as much as resources allow and then explore how my appraisal explains heterogeneity in findings.

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Fowler
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:27 AM
To: Ansari, Mohammed
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How do you define a systematic review, meta-analysis and IPD?

If they have not searched grey lit resources appropriate to their topic and contacted experts in the field then it is not a systematic review and has no place on any continuum defining the quality of a systematic review. Additionally, they should have searched at least three medical literature databases since medline only indexes a third of peer reviewed published research articles. It is unfortunate that the medical literature is inundated with junk science and that fact that it is forces us to waste time wading through it all which impedes our ability to practice great science.

Susan