Thank you Nafisah. I appreciate everyone’s generosity with information and advice. There is lots to think about.

Is anyone planning to use a non-accredited route for students who might not attend/perform well in exams?

Zoe

From: Nafisah Graham Brown [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 November 2014 15:45
To: Zoe Williams
Cc: lern london
Subject: Re: ESOL Quals

Hello all,

Good discussion so far focusing on institutional need to have good achievement rates and tutors' professional knowledge development. I think it's about what's best for the student. We use a combination of examining boards and types (internal vs external) depending on cohort need and situation. The majority of our students we work with are hard-to-reach with multiple needs including health needs. The flexibility of internal assessment suits these types of learners who often have reliability issues and may be absent on the day of the external exam because of health problems (not to mention the effect of stress of an external exam on students' attendance). Once they have progressed for a length of time, it is more suitable to move to external assessment to show personal skills development.

Hope that helps you Zoe to make a decision, or at least to develop a case to present to your stakeholders (the ones who are putting pressure on you to change?)

Best regards,

Nafisah Graham-Brown