Hi Paul and Huw,

Thanks for your emails.

>That is all I get in the terminal too (Coot 0.8.1-pre rev 5423 on OS X 10.9.5) but the table of >“Questionable Waters” does appear (hidden underneath the main window). Is that not >happening for you? X11 window handling (especially with several applications using X11 open >across multiple desktops) does seem to be pretty unpredictable on OS X.

Yes, thank you! I checked again and I actually get the "(command-in-path-or-absolute? *probe-command*)" message every time I just click the 'Validate' menu. And the questionable waters table is there, just hidden behind my main window (as you described). I did not see that before, because I am using an external screen and there the Coot window cannot be moved, just resized. When I disconnect the external screen, I can move the Coot window on my Mac's screen and find the waters table.

So my question is: Any advice how to improve working with X11 on Mac? With Linux, you can find overlapping windows easily. X11 on Mac just gives one window per application, so any pop-up windows cannot be selected directly with the 'Window' menu.

I will post this to the ccp4bb, too, with some other issues about X11.

Thanks, Tobias.