Hi Paul and Huw,

Thanks for your emails.

>That is all I get in the terminal too (Coot 0.8.1-pre rev 5423 on OS X
10.9.5) but the table of >"Questionable Waters" does appear (hidden
underneath the main window). Is that not >happening for you? X11 window
handling (especially with several applications using X11 open >across
multiple desktops) does seem to be pretty unpredictable on OS X.

Yes, thank you! I checked again and I actually get the
"(command-in-path-or-absolute? *probe-command*)" message every time I just
click the 'Validate' menu. And the questionable waters table is there, just
hidden behind my main window (as you described). I did not see that before,
because I am using an external screen and there the Coot window cannot be
moved, just resized. When I disconnect the external screen, I can move the
Coot window on my Mac's screen and find the waters table.

So my question is: Any advice how to improve working with X11 on Mac? With
Linux, you can find overlapping windows easily. X11 on Mac just gives one
window per application, so any pop-up windows cannot be selected directly
with the 'Window' menu.

I will post this to the ccp4bb, too, with some other issues about X11.

Thanks, Tobias.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:00 AM, COOT automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Mark
>
> On 19 November 2014 11:25, Tim Gruene <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > Didn't know about the 'REMARKS' browser, very useful.
> > It would be a nice feature to have an info about the cell and symmetry
> > as Frank suggests.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tim

> > > There is a remarks browser under "About"

> > > Maps you can find using "Display Manager" -> Properties
> > >
> > > I don't recall if there is a way to similarly see model info of the top
> > > of my head.
> > >
> > > Paul.
> > >

> > --
> > Dr Tim Gruene
> > Institut fuer anorganische Chemie
> > Tammannstr. 4
> > D-37077 Goettingen
> >
> > GPG Key ID = A46BEE1A
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:13:55 +0800
> From:    Paul Emsley <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: problems with validate waters
>
> On 19/11/14 20:22, Tobias Beck wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am using Coot 0.8.1-pre rev 5445 on Mac (OS 10.9.5) and would like
> > to validate waters. However, after selecting the criteria and hitting
> > 'Ok', the terminal only gives me
> >
> > (command-in-path-or-absolute? *probe-command*)
> >
> > Interestingly, all the other validation tools that I tested seem to
> > work find, including showing the Probe clashes... so Probe can be
> > found and seems to work?
> >
> > In the Scheme scripting window, executing
> >
> > (command-in-path? *probe-command*)
> >
> > gives me
> >
> > #t
> >

> Hmm... That's strange. The Check/Delete water function is not dependent
> on probe and reduce (I certainly don't get these messages).
>
> Also, I thought that the scheme scripting window in Coot for Mac had
> been deactivated (for the moment) - so I don't know what is going on
> there either.
>
> Paul.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:02:49 +0000
> From:    Huw Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: problems with validate waters
>
> On 19 Nov 2014, at 12:22, Tobias Beck <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > I am using Coot 0.8.1-pre rev 5445 on Mac (OS 10.9.5) and would like to
> validate waters. However, after selecting the criteria and hitting 'Ok',
> the terminal only gives me
> >
> > (command-in-path-or-absolute? *probe-command*)
>
> That is all I get in the terminal too (Coot 0.8.1-pre rev 5423 on OS X
> 10.9.5) but the table of "Questionable Waters" does appear (hidden
> underneath the main window). Is that not happening for you? X11 window
> handling (especially with several applications using X11 open across
> multiple desktops) does seem to be pretty unpredictable on OS X.
>

> Huw
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of COOT Digest - 17 Nov 2014 to 19 Nov 2014 (#2014-5)

Dr. Tobias Beck
- group leader -
RWTH Aachen University
Institute of Inorganic Chemistry