Hi Maggy,

I’m about to ask a stupid question, so forgive me in advance!

Wouldn’t you simply classify the book in its appropriate place? Ie work out what the book is about and then assign the appropriate number? I used to work in a dance collection with a large ballet section and we had a number of books in Russian. I used Google Translate to work out roughly what the book was about and then just added it to the shelves, so a book on ballet history in Russian went in with all the other books on ballet history.

We were using UDC, so the language element was captured in the classmark – I think in practice the sequence probably went

Ballet history – English

Ballet history – French

Ballet history – Russian etc etc

Are you thinking of having a separate section for each language? I think you then run the risk of users having to browse/search in multiple places for the subject they are after (though I guess you could comfortably ignore the sections in languages you don’t speak!)

Helen.

Helen Doyle | Information Officer

Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
3 More London Riverside, London, SE1 2AQ, United Kingdom
Tel +44 20 7444 3456 | Fax +44 20 7283 6500

NORTON ROSE FULBRIGHT

Law around the world
nortonrosefulbright.com

Norton Rose Fulbright – top 3 global legal brand: Acritas’ Sharplegal 2014 Global Elite Brand Index