Hello Myles

RDA was intended (among other things) to be a general-purpose standard for identifying resources, with a wide range of options and very few core requirements, so it does set out the basics for resource identification.  But it is not always easy to find your way through RDA, although there is a helpful filter for ‘basic’ rules, and not everyone has access to a subscription to the RDA Toolkit through their employer.  You would probably also need some knowledge of a format for entering data, such as MARC.

In practice it is probably easier to start with teaching materials created by an organisation for their own staff.  There are links to plenty of options on the CIG resources page (http://www.cilip.org.uk/cataloguing-and-indexing-group/professional-tools-and-resources).  Our own (Bodleian) documentation includes an introductory module and a module for basic description using RDA and MARC.  Can any other trainers out there suggest suitable resources?

There are lots of good introductory books, of course (e.g. Practical Cataloguing by Anne Welsh), but the range of standards currently in use means that no fairly short book can go into a lot of detail on any one standard.

Best wishes,

Bernadette

*******************
Bernadette O'Reilly
Catalogue Support Librarian

Bodleian Libraries,
Osney One Building
Osney Mead
Oxford OX2 0EW.

For cataloguing advice: [log in to unmask]
For course enquiries (cataloguing, holdings & items): [log in to unmask]
For other correspondence: [log in to unmask]

01865 2-77134