Hello,

Some more details about library school cataloguing courses:

The London Metropolitan University MA (formerly University of North London, Polytechnic of North London (?), etc.) had an optional module in cataloguing and classification, which included learning cataloguing for books, audio material (CDs) and audiovisual material (DVDs) and a fantastic introduction to faceted classification including designing a faceted scheme.  This certainly helped to fuel my interest in faceted classification, which was extended by writing a dissertation on the subject.

Having worked with a Loughborough graduate from the late 2000s, I can also say that they (apparently) had a compulsory course which covered cataloguing and classification, and having trained someone to catalogue who had completed that course and having looked at the course materials, the cataloguing appeared to have been covered in quite some detail.  I am sure some recent Loughborough graduates can comment further.

Finally, City University introduced optional cataloguing workshops last year which proved very popular.  So now as well as their theoretical training, City graduates will have had an intensive 6-hour workshop in RDA cataloguing, including production of brief catalogue records.  [For impartiality sake, I should let you know that I am the teacher for the City workshops!].  This is discussed in a recent article in C&I, where the module leader, myself and two students discuss the experiences of learning cataloguing.

Best wishes,

Debbie

Deborah Lee

Senior cataloguer, Book Library

Tel: + 44 (0) 20 7848 2905

Email: [log in to unmask]

The Courtauld Institute of Art, Somerset House, Strand, London, WC2R 0RN
www.courtauld.ac.uk

Now on at The Courtauld Gallery: Egon Schiele: The Radical Nude
23 October 2014 – 18 January 2015