Hi all,

I’m Katrina and I’ve been a cataloguer for about 8 and a half years. My route into it was I had to do an hour or so a week basic copy cataloguing (downloading records and fixing date/title/physical description) when I worked in a subject team. I kept asking more and more questions that eventually an arrangement was made for me to spend a day a week with the cataloguers to learn a little more. I was very lucky to have a sympathetic boss who let me out and some very patient colleagues who taught me very very well.

In terms of employing someone with no cataloguing experience, I think it depends on the situation. Where I work, there are just 2 of us. It would have been lovely to spend the time training someone who had the aptitude and interest but it really wasn’t realistic. Plus, if you get a lot of competent cataloguers applying it’s hard to ignore those over someone you could train (if that makes sense?).

Katrina

From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doyle, Helen
Sent: 25 November 2014 10:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] Getting started - Session 1

I think the first question there is a real problem! If you have no experience, how can you start applying for cataloguing jobs? Volunteering is the usual answer, but it’s very hard to do that if you are already working in a full-time job.

Are there any managers out there who would consider an applicant who had no cataloguing experience at all?

Helen.