I do have a few misgivings about trying to get a thorough grasp of cataloguing before you are sure of a cataloguing role.  Your knowledge can disappear fast if you are not practising, and things will be changing all the time, so you will get out of date.  And if you do get a job, there will be quite a few local things to learn, not least because every system is configured differently.

We won’t train people here unless they have a moderately long-term post and their managers promise that they will catalogue for at least 4 hours per week for at least 3 months after training.  Otherwise they will have forgotten much of the detail in a few months (and might then apply for a post as a ‘fully trained cataloguer’ but not prove up to it).

I wouldn’t want to discourage anyone from spending some time on basics and finding their way round; but be prepared to spend a *lot* of time on the details once you are in post.

Best wishes,

Bernadette

*******************
Bernadette O'Reilly
Catalogue Support Librarian

Bodleian Libraries,
Osney One Building
Osney Mead
Oxford OX2 0EW.

For cataloguing advice: [log in to unmask]
For course enquiries (cataloguing, holdings & items): [log in to unmask]
For other correspondence: [log in to unmask]

01865 2-77134