I did my MSc about 11 years ago. We had a compulsory cat and class module. I didn’t not like it but I did struggle with the classification and it was the module I got the lowest mark in! Most of my knowledge I learnt on the job – I pretty much got taught from basics when I started doing copy cataloguing. Moving to cataloguing I’d never intended, though I think I probably had been honing the skills in various (non-library) jobs I’d done where data entry was important and in my 1 month placement. Unlike many people I didn’t do a graduate trainee year as RGU didn’t need one so my first time working in a library was my month placement 9 months into my course.

Katrina

From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Esther Arens
Sent: 25 November 2014 14:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CIG-E-FORUM] Formal cataloguing training

As I've mentioned before I've entered the profession from left field i.e. still don't hold a qualification. I was therefore rather surprised when I first heard that cat & class aren't compulsory in every library course... admittedly I'm still utterly clueless about the variety of formal professional training anyway. So, just out of my own interest: How many of you who did go to library school took a cataloguing module? Mandatory or not? Did you like it straight away? Or ended up in a cataloguing job crabwise?

Thanks,
Esther

--
Esther Arens MCLIP