My fault for not changing the thread subject! I'm sorry!
Greetings to ccp4bb readers!
        This is a long-delayed reply to requests that I received after I posted an observation on the ccp4bb almost three years ago. (I think it was early 2012). The paper had not yet been published (pending finalization of experiments unrelated to structural biology) and so I was not free to distribute any of the structure factors to those who were interested.  The paper now has been published, and the coordinates and structure factors have been released. The following is the peculiarity that made this of interest.

        I refined a structure with 1.55 A data of a homotrimeric protein bound to an inhibitor. Although the inhibitor added to the enzyme contained a five-membered ring, the inhibitor we observed in two of the three active sites had the ring opened. We therefore discovered that the ring-opened form is also an inhibitor. However, in the remaining active site, we discovered both the ring-opened and ring-closed forms of the inhibitor.  (The active sites are identical, but crystal contacts create asymmetry among the three).  The two forms of the inhibitor were positioned slightly differently in this active site, and so the electron density at this resolution clearly identified the presence of both forms, even though there was much overlap in their positions. I used the CNS occupancy refinement script, and then normalized the results so that the two occupancies added up to 1, and so I came up with occupancies of 0.88 (ring-opened) and 0.12 (ring-closed).  Then having all inhibitor molecules in the model, I calculated maps with another program, which substituted Fcalc for missing reflections, and could no longer see the lower occupancy form in the electron density.  I re-calculated maps in CNS, and again saw both forms in the electron density. So I calculated new maps in CNS the same way as before, but turned on the option to substitute missing reflections with Fcalc: and the lower occupancy form was missing from the density in the resulting maps.
        So, this was the difference - when I used zero for missing reflections, I was able to see both forms; but when I substituted Fcalc for missing reflections in maps, I could only see the predominant form.  The data set was 99.6% complete overall, 99.2% in the highest resolution shell; with a multiplicity of 5.8 (5.3 in the highest shell). So there didn't seem to be many missing reflections to be substituted. The test set contained roughly 2% of the total number of observed unique reflections.

        Some had replied to me, saying that they were interested in using the coordinates & structure factors for running tests; however, as I said, I was not free to distribute them at the time.  Now they are publicly available: PDB ID 4K9G.  I hope this helps all who are interested.  Thank you.

Gregg

Gregg Crichlow
Visiting Research Scientist
Department of Pharmacology