Hi Tim,

this is incorrect.

XSCALE determines the relative scale and B in a first step (this is what you describe).

It then, in a second step, re-determines all scale factors (exactly as CORRECT does for the individual data sets), at the exact same supporting points that CORRECT used.  (This avoids over-fitting which would result from a scaling model with different basis functions; a worry that I have when people use SCALA/AIMLESS after CORRECT without taking precautions.) The resulting scale factors are written to files MODPIX*.cbf, DECAY*.cbf, ABSORP*.cbf for inspection.

Thirdly, it produces statistics and writes output files.

best,

Kay

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:22:51 +0100, Tim Gruene <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear Wolfram Tempel,
>
>there might be some confusion about terms.
>
>It is correct that xscale scales several data sets together. However,
>in crystallography, 'merging' might be the better term for this process.
>
>Crystallographic 'Scaling' is far more complicated than 'merging'. It
>applies correction factors which try to make up for experimental
>errors in your data set. These corrections include the sigma-values,
>which is particularly important for experimental phasing. In that
>respect it can actually hamper the data quality if you
>(crystallographically) scale your data twice, although the effect is
>rather subtle.
>
>CORRECT carries out these corrections, hence CORRECT scales your data
>set, while XSCALE does not repeat this step - it "only" merges your
>data in the sense that it puts your data on a common scale. This is
>the application of a not too difficult mathematical formula (which is
>listed in the xds wiki, but I don't remember the URL).
>
>Regards,
>Tim
>
>On 11/11/2014 10:07 PM, Sudhir Babu Pothineni wrote:
>>
>> http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/xdswiki/index.php/Xscale
>>
>> XSCALE
>> <http://www.mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de/%7Ekabsch/xds/html_doc/xscale_parameters.html>
>>

>is the scaling program of the XDS suite. It scales reflection files
>> (typically called XDS_ASCII.HKL) produced by XDS. Since the CORRECT
>> step of XDS already scales an individual dataset, XSCALE is only
>> /needed/ if several datasets should be scaled relative to another.
>> However, it does not deterioriate a dataset if it is "scaled again"
>> in XSCALE, since the supporting points of the scalefactors are at
>> the same positions in detector and batch space. The advantage of
>> using XSCALE for a single dataset is that the user can specify the
>> limits of the resolution shells.
>>
>> _Scaling with scala/aimless_
>>
>> http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/xdswiki/index.php/Scaling_with_SCALA_%28or_better:_aimless%29
>>

>> -Sudhir
>>

>> *************************** Sudhir Babu Pothineni GM/CA @ APS 436D
>> Argonne National Laboratory 9700 S Cass Ave Argonne IL 60439
>>
>> Ph : 630 252 0672
>>

>> On 11/11/14 14:42, wtempel wrote:
>>> Thank you Boaz. So if CORRECT can do a fully corrected scaling,
>>> are there no corrections that XSCALE might apply to XDS_ASCII.HKL
>>> data that are beyond CORRECT's capabilities? Wolfram
>>>

>>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Boaz Shaanan
>>> <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I actually choose the option 'constant' further down in the
>>> aimless gui but I guess the effect is similar to 'onlymege'.
>>>
>>> Boaz
>>>
>>> /Boaz Shaanan, Ph.D. Dept. of Life Sciences Ben-Gurion University
>>> of the Negev Beer-Sheva 84105 Israel
>>>
>>> E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> Phone:
>>> 972-8-647-2220  Skype: boaz.shaanan Fax:   972-8-647-2992 or