Hi Monica,

what is the reducing agent the protein gets the electron from?
Or is it simply unspecific oxidation of protein side chains?

Do you know what are the coordinating residues of Fe3+ / Fe2+ ?

Dependent on the coordination Fe3+ has some (often very weak) d-d
transitions (400-500 nm) which are absent in Fe2+.

Best method of choice to check whether you have Fe3+ or Fe2+ is EPR.

Godd luck!
Guenter