But of course it matters Jim - especially if you are a woman.  You have no
idea what it is like to have so much of your legacy 'disappeared' and when
something like this comes along it is of immense importance as it exposes
how the art world (or let's just say the world) works.  If the Baroness Elsa
is indeed R. Mutt. as Duchamp suggests in the letter then we have all been
talking about the wrong person for years   - and if it had gone down in
history as being invented by a woman then it wouldn't be the iconic art
piece all - women have been allowed to be imitators but not innovators.  It
matters and it is not comparable to who did what in the artists studio -
having assistants is standard art practice throughout the ages and is a
different matter altogether than a work having your work stolen from you -if
that indeed was the case. It's certainly of interest.   Thanks for posting
Jesse.

Subject: Re: The Urinal that was never his--Duchamp and the Baroness

doesn’t matter. it’s like the issue of whether warhol did some of the
collages or whether his friends did them. it may be of interest to the
appraisers, but it is of little interest or relevance to everyone else.

ja
http://vispo.com