  From: Pierre Joris
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2014 3:28 PM
  Subject: Re: Chris Torrance Reflected Upon

  Chris Torrance was also in the very first of the anthologies to map the 60/70s "Brit Poetry renaissance," or whatever you want to call it, namely MATIERES D’ANGLETERRE edited by Paul Buck & myself in 1984 & published bi-lingually (English & French) in France (no English publisher wanted to touch the book with a ten-foot pole). I have always thought Chris’ work was central to those pivotal years, and Wilkinson’s review doesn’t change that. That the Cambridge school, or whatever you want to call it, was limited in their assessments of the wider range of interesting new work being produced in those years in the England, is not a big problem (except of course that there were so few reviews of any of the interesting poetry books at that time — Allen Fisher’s generous & wider view (more than re-view) being indeed a major counter-statement to those with limited vision). In MATIERES, Paul & I do have Prynne (& some other Cambridgers) meet Torrance (& other allied poetas). There should be, is in fact, room for a range of explorative poetry & poetics.

  I too would very much like to see a Collected or large Selected Poems by Torrance from a reputable publisher. Hmm, any takers? Reality Street? Shearsman?

  Pierre