Hi Tim,

I've always been interested in psychology, but I don't believe psychology can explain away poetry.
That's why I like poetry so much. On the other hand, if a poetics makes a claim about psychological things, then it's fair to see what psychology has to say about it.
I have never been able to make much headway with Lacan myself. The presentation, for the most part mediated through his students, is dense and complex, and I have
never had the inclination to sit down and struggle with it. I have at times had an interest in Freud, Jung and the Gestaltists-- with some training in Gestalt.
What I know about narcissism mostly comes from my encounters with it in myself, as with projections, reaction formations and so many other things. Infinitely embarrassing, but instructive.

I agree with you that the presentation of the self directly and "in the raw" is something to appreciate. It seems more honest to me, and I like that. As Yeats said, though one does not have to write like him to subscribe
to it, " there's more enterprise in walking naked."  So I am also of the mind that poetry can be formed anecdotally and/or out of personal experience, but that,as someone said recently here on the list, everything depends on how you approach that experience. I would also say that there is nothing that can be apprehended consciously or unconsciously that does not qualify as experience.

David